Exactly one week ago today, on March 12th, Darin and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary!
We celebrated by taking a 7-day cruise through Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.


We celebrated by taking a 7-day cruise through Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

This was our view from the dining table EVERY NIGHT!
The trip was AMAZING. It was like honeymooning all over again! We were so happy to vacation with Danielle & Aaron, Clint & Keri and Joanna & Kirk. Danielle & Aaron were also celebrating their 10th, Clint & Keri were celebrating their 15th, and Joanna & Kirk just love cruising, they are our best friends, and the trip wouldn't have been the same with out them there!I've had a few friends ask me recently how Darin and I met, which encouraged me to write our story here.
Our Story
Darin and I were married in the Los Angeles Temple on March 12th, 1999. The sealing ceremony was beautiful, it was everything I had ever imagined. I will never forget holding hands with Darin, and watching the tears roll down his cheeks as we were sealed for time and all eternity. We danced the night away at our reception and then honeymooned on a 5-day cruise. It was the perfect, fairy-tale wedding I had dreamed of.Darin and I have actually known each other since our childhood. Our mothers were good friends, our families spent time together, and even went on vacation together when we were just kids. We've actually found a picture of Darin and I in 1984 at the beach. After my family moved to Riverside in 1987, we kept in touch with the Salmon's through Christmas cards and occassional invites to birthday parties. The last time I saw Darin before our first date was at his mission farewell. I don't remember anything about his talk, but I remember spilling punch on his parent's new carpet at the luncheon, and also thinking that Darin must be a really good boyfriend, because he had his girlfriend's cheer competitions penciled in on his calendar.
Our families vacationed together again in the summer of 1997, I had just graduated high school and Darin was serving on his mission in New Jersey. It was during that week that Joanna and Kirk fell in love, and also that week that I wrote Darin a letter and mailed him my senior picture. He kept that picture and still has it in his mission photo album!
I spent my first year of college at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho, where I had a wonderful time, but where not a single decent guy asked me out. I came home in April to work and save money for the following year, and Darin was back from his mission. I remember when Darin called me the first time, I remember how distict his raspy voice was. He wanted to take me out, and we decided we'd double with Kirk and Joanna. We went to Scandia and played air hockey and got our picture taken in the booth, then went to Carrows for Strawberry Pie. I remember being immediately impressed with Darin. He was so nice and so much fun to be with. He was such a gentleman and very respectful. I knew that he was the kind of guy I could marry.
We spent nearly every day together that summer. Both of us were working two jobs, and he was taking summer classes, but we always found time to spend together, even if it meant 11 pm at night. I fell head over heels for Darin. We were in love and we knew it. But I had a job waiting for me in Idaho, and a contract for an apartment, and my classes were all lined up and paid for. So, I went, and left Darin behind. It took just a few days before we decided that I would sell my contract, and move back after the semester. There was no way we could live with out each other.
We were engaged on October 9th, 1998, nearly 6 months after our first date. Darin proposed at his sister, Candace's wedding, in front of hundred's of people. Apparently in was in the plans, Candace and Dave knew it was happening and so did both of our families and most of our friends! We spent the next few months in a long distance relationship, my job paid the phone bill, and I caught a ride home whenever I could.
Transferring colleges and moving home was so exciting! I knew I had found the man of my dreams, and we were going to be together forever!
Marrying Darin was the best decision I've ever made. He is everything I ever wanted in a husband and more! He brings so much joy and strength to our marriage, so much caring and commitment to our family, and so much warmth and love to the life that we share together.
When I see him working hard at his career and his church callings, no matter how long or tough his day and when I see him take a stand for what is right, I remember how rare men of integrity like him really are. There are so many times when I feel proud of the wonderful man he is. There is no one I love or admire more. Darin has made me the luckiest woman in the world and I am so thankful to have him as my eternal companion.
Happy 10th Anniversary Babe!
I love you more today than ever!
I love you more today than ever!


2 comments:
You guys are so cute! It's funny I remember being at the beach camping with you that summer when darin was on his mission and joanna and kirk started liking eachother. I remember you talking a little about darin and saying you were going to write him. :) Who knew back them what would come to pass! Looks like you guys had a great time on the cruise. Happy Anniversary
I love having you as both my sis and sis in law. Our marriages to brothers have been best case scenario because I get to see you all the time!!! How can I not love that?
Post a Comment